Thursday, February 2, 2012

STFU and just do it!

Nope, this isn't an advert for Nike.

This is about people who think they aren't good enough.  They think they aren't good enough so they never try.  I really want to kick their arses!

Okay, this is coming out as a bit of a rant and that wasn't my intention.

I have had, in the past, people who never make any life changes, or take on new challenges because "they can't do it".

On Sunday I was in my long group run and I overheard (yep, I was eavesdropping, sorry!) someone say something like, "I didn't take the job because I wasn't ready for it...".  I really wanted to turn around and say something, but as I wasn't meant to be listening I wasn't in a position to.  Damn my fickle morality.

So this is my rant.

Never, ever think you can't do something.  There are very few things in this world you can't do.  Everything is possible, it's up to you to determine if you want to.

I have recently started writing a weekly article for Canadian Running Magazine.  I am not a journalist. I have never taken a writing course outside of high-school.  I am not even sure I am that much of a writer.  However, when they asked me I said "yes".  Why?  If I don't say yes, then I will never know what I am capable of.

This has been the story of my life really.

In college, I took courses that I had no aptitude for.  I didn't take them because I could get easy grades -- as was proven by my degree level.  I took them because if I didn't, I would never know what I was capable of.

After  college, I took a job for an emerging Internet provider.  I was on the customer service phone-desk.  I was technically on the lowest rung.  Yes, I did say, "Can you switch it off and switch it back on again". A lot!

However, every 6-12 months another department would ask me to see if I wanted to join them.  Each department change was for a job I did not know how to do.  I said "yes" anyway because I knew that I could find out the information one way or another.  Accepting that I was not going to know what I was doing meant I didn't mind asking for help.  I accepted that I might fail, however, I also knew that if I tried and failed, then I would be happier than if I never tried at all.

By the time I left I was developing new country-wide networks using the newest technology available.

I know there are things I cannot "naturally" do.  I will never be naturally blonde, brown-eyed or male.  Doesn't mean if I did really want to do those things then I couldn't.  I can buy contacts, hair dye and go to the relevant doctor.

There are some things I may like to do, but don't.  Maybe I would like to run an Ultra one day.  Or, maybe I would like to scale a world-famous mountain.  However, I don't desire them enough to put the effort into doing them.  Doesn't mean I can't and it doesn't mean I won't, it just means that at the moment I don't want to.

I suppose, deep down, this is what annoys me when people say "I can't...". You can do anything you want to.  What you are really saying when you say "I can't...", is "I don't want to..."  and more importantly, "I don't want to fail".

That's it really.  People are scared of failing.  They give up on an opportunity instead of trying and failing.  They don't want to look like an idiot in front of others.  Perhaps, I am on the Autistic Spectrum, because one of my strengths is that I don't care what you think of me.  Not really.  If you think I am an idiot, I would probably agree with you.

The fact that I don't care what people think of who I am and what I do, has meant that my life has taken a mirad of turns.  I have seen places and people I never would have imagined.  I have had experiences most people spend a lifetime cultivating.  I have had adventures and I have proved over and over, that in most cases I am capable of anything.

Don't get me wrong. I have made mistakes -- huge ones.  There have been times where I really wondered what the hell I was thinking.  Yet, looking back on my life, those mistakes are overshadowed by what I have achieved.

So when I hear people say, "I can't..." I just want to turn around and shake sense into them.  I want to shout at them and make them realise what sort of life they are missing, when they use, what is in fact the lamest excuse in the universe.

I want to shout, "It isn't a case of, 'you can't do this', it's a case of, 'you don't want to look like an idiot'.  Well guess what? You are an idiot".

Yeah, this is a bit of a rant.  It just annoys me when I think of all that wasted potential, because of peoples desire to always be the best.

Don't they realise that they may never be their best until they "Shut the Fuck Up and just do it!"?


4 comments:

  1. Great post, this always frustrates the hell out of me when people say they can't do something (It's too hard - insert whiny voice here). Crap how do you know unless you give it a try, determination is a powerful ally. If I can learn to swim at 40 with a crazy fear of water, then damn it, they should be able to conquer whatever too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post! You nailed it. Unless there's a quantitative way to figure out if sometihng's impossible, there is a way(Example: I have 4 dollars. I cannot afford this beer for 6 dollars).

    There's always a way, if you indeed want to do something bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete