Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I thought March was the month for madness

Just a quick post to let you know why I have been on the quiet over the last month.

To say life is hectic is not an understatement -- it is far beyond that.

When I started out in September with D going into grade one, I had this foolish notion that I could do so many things with the thirty hours of free time I had a week.  Slowly over the following 5 months or so, that thirty hours was whittled away to perhaps twenty.  Twenty is still not bad; I could still run, write, help out at BRS and occasionally clean.  Life was still good.

Then February came about.  Instead of being able to actively plan my calendar, my life went into fire-fighting mode.

Following an allergy test I had done at the end of January, my body went into allergic melt-down.  Those pin-pricks just seemed to show my body that I could be allergic to what-ever I wanted.  This started the down-hill spiral.  Everything I seemed to eat, touch or breathe, resulted in asthma, hives and sneezing.

My days weren't spent in the coffee shop anymore.  They were spent trying to find a decent vacuum cleaner -- Did you know Dyson have a whole range of models out in March and therefore NO-ONE has any?  Yep, neither did I until I needed one.  We then had to research how to limit allergens, which resulted in new mattresses, pillows, bedding and another $1000 we didn't want to spend.

Then I needed to get cleaning and re-organising, so that everywhere is as clinical than a doctors office.  Oh, the cleaning... I am not sure how D coped with the concept of me cleaning.  Seems like he didn't.

I was still writing and BRS'ing, then disaster No. 2 turned up.

D, began suffering what has been termed "Sensory overloads".  The last one in the series, resulted in him throwing chairs in his classroom in a bid to get out of something - not sure if it was a task, environment, or life in general.  Frankly at this point it doesn't matter.  His class had to be evacuated and the whole incident was elevated to full-scale disaster.  Followed by a horrendous after-meeting by someone I will only term "Aide from Hell".  The result ended up being a Mum who frankly wanted to shut down, a kid who couldn't and wouldn't go to school because of anxiety.

Those twenty free hours which had previously been demoted from thirty. Now, we had ten.  After a very short week in school, D re-turned to school for 2 hours every day.  When a thirty minute handover was counted, this left me with ninety minutes a day.  Heck, I had more free-time when he was in pre-school.

Add, in Doctors consultations and additional therapy sessions, it was clear the only way my house would look decent was if a bomb was placed inside it.  Something D actually wanted to attempt by the way.  Never tell an kid on the spectrum that he "can do whatever you want, sweetie", because he will!

Then in the midst of confusion, add in calamity No.3.  They do say these events come in three's right?

During the site migration of the BRS site, we encountered Domain name issues, which lead to legal issues.  The whole 'blow-by-blow' is still in the works and won't be released until we are super-sure that what we say is validated and accurate.  The last thing we need is for the whole community to be pulled and for the 'powers-that-be' to face legal bills rivalling their kids college funds.  Being on the executive committee, this meant that whilst BRS was down, I wasn't able to spend the time sitting drinking wine and eating chocolates (probably two of the items I am not currently allergic too!).  My in-box grew to the size of the Marsh-mellow man from Ghost-busters and I had to be creative when doing the conference calls with a highly-strung 7 year old hanging around.  Yep, I was that Mum who used the power of 2 new Skylanders and 2 hours of game time as a babysitting tool.

I am pleased we are beginning to see the light at the end tunnel of this mess, now NEWBRS is up and running.  I am sure there is a lot more work to be done until the whole sorry incident has been put to bed, but those gut-wrenching couple of weeks where we honestly didn't know if the community would survive seemed to have lapsed for a while.

In a few months, when the dust has settled and we are all cleared with what we are allowed to say, then I will tell the story.  It's actually quite an uplifting story when it's finally published.  A story of how a virtual community came together to save itself from those who had only monetary interest in it.  How, passion and dedication won over the big bucks.

As you can imagine, the writing part of my life has pretty much taken a back seat for a week or two - or three, or four.

One part of my life that hasn't suffered as much as it could have is my running.  I am thankful for that.  It has been my life-saver over the last month.  I had started a half marathon clinic in January and although the allergies and asthma has meant I can't run as quick as I would like, it has shown me that slow distances is something I can do.  I now have a reason to run at least three times a week and even if I miss one of the club sessions, it just spurs me on to get that run in somewhere.  So I am still running 3-4 times a week and I am running the long distance more often than not.  However, I must point out I think the training plan is insane.

I am training for a half marathon in May, and yet the plan has shown that over six weeks, (last week and the next 5 weeks), four out of 6 runs are over 10 miles.  In fact one run is actually 13 miles.  I am running a half marathon in training for a half-marathon.  To me that sounds of crazy.

I am sure my usual training plan of running 6-8 miles in my long run, then getting drunk, registering for a half-marathon three days before it happens, is a more viable training schedule.  I mean, come-on! Last week I ran nearly 30 miles in a week. I haven't run that mileage in over 18 months.  Perhaps I should question my sanity and those little pills the Doctor gave me a couple of weeks ago :)

Regardless, my life at the moment is spent being more of a grown-up than I would like -- OR running away from being a grown-up and failing miserably.

Let's hope I just had an early start on the March Madness, because I am not sure  my sanity can take another month of this.  Saying that -- isn't it Spring Break in a couple of weeks? Oh, I am so screwed.  Good-bye sanity, you will be missed.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you have your hands full! Whatever doesn't kill you.... right?

    By the way, I'm a fellow Canuck, though I've been out of country for a decade. You are a good writer, and it's nice to see the homeland again when you post pics(usually with you in a tutu somewhere in the foreground).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to post more photo's just for you then. I'll try and take my camera out more. The photo on the banner was taken from Mt. Seymour overlooking Fraser valley. I took it because it's showing where I run. Just look in the valley and there is one crazy lady running those hills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been up that road before, though sadly not for running. My wife is from Lynn Valley in North Van, so I'm familiar with the area. I grew up in Port Simpson, Hope, Hazelton, and Bella Coola, so am a BC'er born and raised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might like this poem about mothers http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/random-quotation-spot.html

    ReplyDelete