Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Getting to the point where I need to start running again...

...and before you all nod and agree with the Doctors about being competitive, it's not for the reasons you think.

It's been about 7-8 weeks since I last ran. Remember I am not about numbers so I am not really sure, but it's about that.  But heck, I am beginning to feel it.

Not Mentally; which is what most people would expect.  As far as that goes, I am still feeling quite chipper.  Keeping up with a 6 year old during the summer vacation has been enough to keep me psychologically challenged. in a "please don't blow that up" and "Come down from there before you kill yourself" kind of way.  Yes, I have reached that "Why aren't you in school yet?" point of the vacation, but I think that would have happened even if I was running 100 miles a week.

The reason I need to get running is purely physical.  It's not as if my body is solidifying into a mass of lard - well okay maybe a little.  I have been careful and ensured that I am eating better.  Over the last few weeks I have managed to do swimming and pool running,  but I am finding that this isn't cutting it as far as my body is concerned.

The last month or so I have been plagued by a host of little health issues which are now starting to really annoy me.  I have suffered from asthma and eczema all my life.  I have had hay-fever and a whole host of other auto-immune conditions.  All of them seem to have materialised, all at the same time.  I am finding it hard to breathe.  My skin is tight and itchy.  I feel like I always want to sneeze and I have sinus headaches.  My body aches and, well, it's just giving up on me.

These things are cyclical, I know and I am probably due for a dose of these complaints, but I thought about it today and I realised.  At the moment I can't breathe because my lungs are full of gunk.  I can feel it in every breath.   As I run, I use all of my lungs in huge gasping breaths as I push my limits; this clears the lungs from gunk.  Swimming doesn't do this.  My skin is tight and itchy because I am not getting the usual pink flush I get as I run. The blood flow and perspiration isn't there.  I don't get this as I pool run.  My sinuses are all screwed up because all the gunk is not getting cleared and solidifying (or alternatively, it is being drenched by lovely chlorinated pool water - nice!).  My joints are seizing because there isn't the resistance training my body get's when I run.  The gentle landing on the ground works my whole body as I relax into the ground 180 times a minute.

So I don't need to run because of the usual mental and endorphin hits.  I need it because other forms of exercise don't reset my body as much as running.  I need that clear-out of gunk and residue that lingers.    I am slowly being formed into a body of green gloop and I need to get rid of it.  I have tried other types of exercise, but it's all about strength.  I don't need that, I need the deep down, gut wrenching, heart pounding workout I get when I blast through the trails.

So Mr. Orthopedic man, please take my advice and a prescription from me.  If you want this body to work as it should, sign my knee off as "fit to return to work".  My heart, lungs and joints will thank you later - oh and let's not forget  my pelvic floor - umm.. am I TMI'ing again? Ooops!

3 comments:

  1. Oh kate.. I am really feeling for you. Asthma, have you tried Advair? It has saved me as I used to live on my rescue inhaler. That and moving here to Colorado has helped tremendously. Aqua jogging is kind of frustrating. No sweat, no pounding. I know. BUT it does work if you do it and do it well. You just have to really PUMP your legs so your heart is pounding. Hang in there!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling! And I agree. Swimming isn't much of a help....however have you tried any speed workouts in the pool? These helped me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya on the pelvic floor thing... but you know me... I'm good with the TMI stuff. Could the itchy skin also be from the clorine? That clorine is some nasty stuff. Maybe really lotion up and hydrate your skin after swimming. I had eczema (I still get it deep in my ear canals from time to time) and I have the worst hay fever! Have you ever used a neti pot? I love mine for my hay fever. It just cleans everything out and my sinus' feel so relieved afterwards.

    Cheers to when our kids go back to school. I just told mine politely to not "blow up the garage" a few weeks back. Never thought I say that. Ha!

    ReplyDelete