Monday, April 18, 2011

"I can't afford the Actual race" mileage report

I am doing the "Because All the Cool Kids are doing it" Virtual Marathon. The aim is to do distance of a Marathon in the 2 weeks preceding and including May 1st. As I am not running the full Vancouver Marathon, I thought it would be good to see if I could at least run 26 miles in the two weeks before.

Who know's I may actually do an Ultra! So here goes, I will be updating the report every day that I run. It will be interesting to see how far I can run in the next 2 weeks.

Week One

Monday April 18th - 4 miles of very muddy semi-technical trail. Two mini hill work-outs over technical trail

Tuesday April 19th - AM 3 miles of easy trail with a friend. PM 3 miles of road running with the "Good Form" clinic at the running club. Total 6 miles

Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st - Nothing. Kid at home due to ear infection. Hoping for a 6 mile trail run tomorrow and a 9 mile trail race on Saturday. (Should recover some of my mileage)

Friday 22nd - 7 miles on easyish trail. Sorted out potential food and fuel issues for longer distances. Rice Krispie bars tucked into running tights and water fountains worked really well!

Saturday 23rd - 8.7 miles of technical trail as part of the 5-peaks trail race series..

Weekly total 25.7 miles

Week Two

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - Nothing, Nada, Zip. Stomach bug made an appearance on Sunday evening and has pretty much wiped me out. Hoping that I can take on vaguely solid food in the next couple of days for a pre-race run on Saturday and of course the Half Marathon on Sunday. Still going to make the 26 miles.. in fact I will be in Ultra territory (if it was all run on one day and not over 2 weeks)

Thursday-Friday - Again nothing - life, ect
Saturday - Lots of walking around Downtown Vancouver with a friend - does that count.. I must have walked at least 5 miles.. Nah? Okay
Sunday 1st may - Absolutely horrendous half marathon. 2:13:36 All the walking, drinks and food on Saturday made my stomach wobbly. Great first 10K - on par for a 1:50, then nausea and lightheadedness meant I had to walk/run the rest. Still better than I thought. Followed by a 1 mile barefoot type run) I had to wear socks because my feet were a little raw from running in VFF Sprints. The plan was to run at least 3-10K BF, but my feet were raw after the first 5K, which meant I kept the sprints on instead of chancing infection. Same reason for the socks for IBRD.

Weekly total 14 miles
2 Week total 39.7 miles


3 comments:

  1. Good luck. I'll be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I saw this on my friend's blog and thought you might like it. Check it out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1uPf5O-on0&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,

    I watched that yesterday. It's very powerful and gut wrenching stuff. One of the comments made about D by his therapists is that for his age he is very self-aware. He drew a picture once about how he felt when I asked him to hurry up on a task. It showed his head exploding, his eye's popping and his heart jumping out of his chest. It's not until you see exactly how they feel you realise how truly their body takes over.

    ReplyDelete