Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Maybe this is a sign...

This week is going to be a 'grown-up' week. D has finally had his funding confirmed and as a result, I am in the process of sorting out Behavioural Consultants, Behavioural Interventionists, Occupational Therapists and Speech Language Pathologists. I am still trying to get my head around all the terms; to me it still feels like participants of a really boring party, (apologies if anyone out there is one of the above, but my head is still spinning). I used to belong to a profession that when announced at a party could clear a room in 30 seconds. It was freaky! "Hi, I am a network engineer", was all that was needed to create a human-free area of thirty metres.

This all new to me and as such I have little or no idea about what all this entails, how much it costs and where I need to go. I am still figuring it out. So it came as a shock when I visited a "Autism Centre' about what actually is involved. An "Autism Centre" is a "one-stop-shop" for everything Autism. You go there and they arrange everything, bill the government directly and you never have to really have to be involved in all of the logistics of the therapy. The alternative is hiring and interviewing each therapist yourself. It's like the difference between getting your furniture from IKEA, or you get a "home decorator" in. One involves a lot of effort, but you potentially get more for you money, the other requires no thinking but BOY do you pay for it. However, I am fairly sure that when you hire therapists, you aren't left with lots of cardboard, 3 allen keys and a strange bolt that should go somewhere but you aren't sure where because the instructions have NO written annotations on them... Saying that I haven't actually hired anyone yet; so who know's maybe they do?

Anyway, this is not the point of this blog. The point is I discovered that to be able to help him, he has to have a minimum of ten hours a week at the centre. That's two hours, five days a week. Crikes, he doesn't even spend that time in pre-school. He will do this up to the age of six. As of September he will also be in part-time Kindergarten; they don't do full-time Kindergarten in BC. This means that as of September he will be in a classroom setup for about four and a half hours a day. Before that he will be at the Centre for ten hours per week and pre-school six. I don't have to be there, in fact I think it is encouraged he does this alone. Previously I was under the misconception that D would go to some form of therapist, two-three days a week. Maybe for an hour or so. So you imagine my shock when I realised how much time he would be spending at the centre.

I can't go back home, because the centre is too far away. I have to hang around the area. I can't get a job, because I still need to look after him and transport him during lunchtime. I can't really go shopping/pay bills etc, because by the time I get to the store, I have to rush and come back. This is an awful lot of free time. Ummm... what to do?

However, as I have discovered from his time at pre-school, two hours is a good enough time to get a run in. I don't have to drive anywhere, I don't have to get dressed up. I just drop him off and I run. If there is a gym or recreation centre near, I could go for a swim, or a spinning class, or maybe even a core class. Umm... interesting... I just have visions of me sitting at the computer desk, saying "I am interested by your proposal, Mr. Bond" whilst stroking my chin and grimacing. (I was going to say 'stroking my pussy' but that so many different meanings, I may have found myself with three million hits and a visit by the RCMP)

So maybe this intensive programme is a sign. I really had it in my head that next year I wanted to run an Ultra or do a full triathlon (maybe a haf-ironman). I was wondering if the twelve/thirteen hours a week, with maybe a long run on the weekend was enough to be able to do this. It was probably pushing it. However, now I don't have twelve hours a week to do this. I have over twenty. This goal seems achievable. If I managed to stay off injured (I have a bout of ITBS at the moment), this is actually doable. I know... I also have to stay insane. No-one in their right minds considers an Ultra. I can say that in total confidence, because all the people I know who actually do Ultras AND read this blog are mad as hatters, (and they know it), so it's not as if I am going to offend anyone.

So maybe, transporting D to all his classes has a plus side. Maybe, this time next year I maybe able to put something cool in the blog. (Apart from a really neat recipe for Drambuie ice-cream; just made that up, but it actually sounds kind of nice). Maybe I will have something to impress my friends (all 3 of them) :) Who know's this maybe the start of something interesting for me?

So raise a glass of wine to toast the ability to see the positive out of something difficult. Heck, who needs that... just raise a glass...

There is something to be said for seeing the glass half-full. However, if you are like me, the glass is ALWAYS completely empty and you require a top-up. More wine I think...

7 comments:

  1. The wine glass is half full, not half empty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's empty because I have already drunk it... hence why I require the top up :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like a great goal. I've thought of doing a triathlon but the swimming really scares me. I have visions of drowning. I would still like to try one some day in the future though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. seize every opportunity mama! go for it

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Can't wait to see how it all unfolds for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly, I have exactly the same fear. I would go into a panic whenever I couldn't feel the bottom of the pool. I only learnt to swim last Christmas. I had a friend who was a national swimmer and she taught me how not to be scared of the water. After that, I realised I could swim after all. Now I am swimming 1K-1mile distances. Not fast or great and I still get the nerves, but for me it's unbelievable. A fear of the water is something you can overcome with the right teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome Kate to go from no swimming to those distances. I can swim, I'm just not good at it. It seems like something that isn't hard until you try to swim a lap or two and it's unbelievably hard.

    ReplyDelete